Saturday, May 4, 2013

Another New to Us Redo! Craigslist Bookcase/Desk Free Find


Anyone who knows me and my house knows that I have furnished most of my house from hand me downs, thrift stores, auctions, ebay, and of course......CRAIGSLIST!  Man!  What did I do before Craigslist was in my life?  Well, I have bought many inexpensive items off Craigslist.  Some of my favorite thing on Craigslist are from the free list.  You can find some great things on there.  The first thing we got that was free was a simple oak bookcase.  It was in that 90's yellow oak, so I restained it in a darker stain to match our other dark oak furniture.  It does the job.
Now on to my 2nd free item from Craigslist!  As we were working on the floors in the office, I was considering all the stuff we had to put back in the office.  I have so many cute craft things for the kids,but the kids never seemed to access them in the office.  In addition, the small little plastic storage thing we used for crayons, stickers, etc....was not big enough.  I decided that we should get some kind of cabinet for the dining room.  Maybe a computer armoire that can contain all the mess.  I saw a few good things, but being currently unemployed, free was the price for me.  I found this bookcase-desk for FREE!!!!  I knew I could make it look way better.  I think I did!  What do you think?


BEFORE- Pretty isn't it?  Outdated finish, brass hardware, one broken handle.

Another before picture

Drumroll please!


After! Much better right? I painted the whole thing a light antique white, sprayed the existing hardware a hammered black finish, replaced the broken handle with a $3 handle from OSH. I did buy some spray paint, but ended up finishing the rest of the painting, hardware included, with paint we had in the garage.


After 2-A surprise springy green on the inside. It's definitely a bit bold. I like it, but might still tweak it a bit when my fabric comes in.  It even came with working lights in the top and bottom!  Score!




My daughter is busy working on her next art project.  We love our new art cabinet.  Now, get out there and find something free to makeover!





No comments :

Post a Comment